Ashley’s Sedition 11

Sedition.comI discovered from the comment Ashley posted at this site. I spent at least 30 minutes reading his daily posts, his Bio, and exploring his links and suggested readings. He writes what’s on his mind.

Ashley also maintains the Devil’s Dictionary X™, an extension of Bierce’s original Devil’s Dictionary.

11 thoughts on “Ashley’s Sedition

1. Reply Phillip May 2,2004 7:15 pm

I thought Ashley was a girl. You two must be in the same club.

2. Reply Phillip May 2,2004 8:22 pm

That’s the best you can do?

3. Reply ashley May 3,2004 3:34 am

Ashley Jody

a boy‘s name, though a contrary opinion is held accurate by many cretins.

4. Reply Ryan May 3,2004 7:37 am

My girlfriend is a MILF, according to Ashley’s dictionary……….and Pender.

5. Reply Pender May 3,2004 12:41 pm

Damn, though I still wonder if ashley is hot… Is that wrong?

6. Reply Jenny May 3,2004 5:58 pm

What’s the deal with that online Devil’s Dictionary? Bierce’s DD was incredibly cool and original and witty and clever (not that I’ve read it, but I’ve seen bits and pieces, damnit!!), but this twaddle is about as funny and imaginative as an episode of Friends.

The humor is borrowed, pre-prescribed (yes, that’s a word!), frat-boy, predictable and stupidstupidstupid!!!

I think I’m mad because it’s leeching off of something truly good and someone truly talented. Who are these hacks, anyway?? What’s really and mind-bogglingly irritating is that they actually take words already in
    the original and change the definitions into banal pieces of schlop. Like cynic, which was a very famous entry from Bierce’s.

It’s like when they try to refilm Hitchcock’s Psycho or Rear Window. Sub-par! Sub-par, damnit!!!

What’s going on??? Reading that stupid online dictionary soured my good cup of coffee!! Now I’m pissed off.

I think I’m going to buy Bierce’s, though.

7. Reply Ryan May 3,2004 7:22 pm

Whew! Got a load of your chest there, didn’t ya?

8. Reply ashley May 3,2004 10:56 pm

> stupidstupidstupid
    Nice! Well, I hope you get a copy of the original. it is filled with many truly remarkable pieces of wit. You will also find, upon reading it cover to cover, that is full of many more definitions that resemble the term following “cynic.”

DAMN, v. A word formerly much used by the Paphlagonians, the meaning of which is lost. By the learned Dr. Dolabelly Gak it is believed to have been a term of satisfaction, implying the highest possible degree of mental tranquillity. Professor Groke, on the contrary, thinks it expressed an emotion of tumultuous delight, because it so frequently occurs in combination with the word jod or god, meaning “joy.” It would be with great diffidence that I should advance an opinion conflicting with that of either of these formidable authorities.

Opaque, verbose, boring, dated, and sometimes bordering on unreadable.

I understand your offense at the perception of theft. The intention was to build upon modern themes which were either non-existent (like hacker) or unapproachable (orgasm) in AGB’s day. Admittedly there is some pretentiousness and tautology about it.

“Pre-prescribe” is not a word. This is exactly the kind of thing that led me to divorce you in the first place.

9. Reply Pender May 4,2004 8:26 am

Why won’t anyone tell me if ashley is hot or not? Jeeeeez..

10. Reply Ryan May 4,2004 6:07 pm

Ashely wrote: “This is exactly the kind of thing that led me to divorce you in the first place.”

Uuuhhh, I think Ashley is a “he”, not a “she”. He could be hot, if you bark up those trees.