Why Do You Walk With Your Feet Pointing Outwards?

There are two (and only two) kinds of people: those who talk with their feet pointed straight ahead, and those who don’t.

Straight FeetCrocked Feet

I would think that those who walk with their feet pointing outwards would always be trying to prevent themselves from doing the splits, as their legs are trying to walk away from each other, in opposite directions. Yes, I would think that.

I’ve been trying to determine why a lot of people walk with their feet splayed outward, and I’ve come up with these possibilities:

• Their fat thighs prevent their feet from pointing straight ahead. If they did try to walk with their feet straight ahead, they’d fall over like a bowling pin.
  • They have some medical problem (besides being fat, if you want to consider that a medical problem).
  • They didn’t learn to walk correctly.

Okay, you’re asking But what’s the correct way to walk? Maybe your feet are SUPPOSED to be pointing outwards. According to my extensive research (i.e. googling variations of “walking correctly”), your feet are supposed to be pointing straight ahead when you walk.

The toes pointing outward is called outtoeing, but I don’t know if that means the whole foot is pointing outwards. Can you have the toes pointing outward without its foot following suit?

And then there’s Intoeing, but I think they’re rare, so they don’t count.

This entry was posted in science and tagged , , , .

61 Responses to Why Do You Walk With Your Feet Pointing Outwards?

1. Steve says:

Huh? Getting desperate for content?

This is something I’ve ALWAYS wondered about, so I thought I’d pass on that wonder, prompting mass wonder, I hope.

Tomorrow’s wonder: How can you tell when sour cream goes bad?

3. Ryan says:

I walk with my feet pointing outwards because that’s what is comfortable. I realize that doesn’t fit into your three reasons, but I’m special.

As for sour cream going bad, you’ll know it’s bad because it will be sour. Duh!!

> I walk with my feet pointing outwards because that’s what is comfortable.

Of course it’s comfortable; it’d be uncomfortable having those fat thighs of yours chafing against each other with every stride.

• Jae says:

You do know that you are very offensive right? Everyone has a right to their own opinion so I can respect the way you think. However, there is a fine line between stating your opinion and just being down right rude. You have crossed that line tremendously. You have gone so far over the line you cannot even see where it was. You should really check yourself before someone else does it for you.

Thanks :)

• Jody says:

Why is it offensive? You should read more of this blog, especially if you’re Christian. You’ll love it here.

• tommyboy says:

what line? there is a line here at steel white table? Fuck I never saw it..ohhh is that profanity offensive..over the line perhaps..

…jody I have fat thighs and you are correct it is uncomfortable with them chaffing with every stride…thank you for your understanding and astute observations and of course your honest and forthright comments…..praise jesus…oh I mean praise thor….

• tommyboy says:

what is this stinking moderation waiting shit…do you know who I am…do you…jesus christ moderation my ass….

I am really going to miss this and will probably end up venting to real people in real settings…tell me you will send me popcorn when I am the guest of the provincial correctional services….

• tommyboy says:

that’s better…I am just working through my emotions with the impending end coming….

• Phillip says:

Tom, aren’t you in Jody’s Google Plus circle yet?

Jody, check out my circles and steal Tom and put him in one of your circles. He’ll need a place to show of his typing skills once SWT shut down.

• Jody says:

SWT is shutting down?!

• Phillip says:

Yes, SWT is shutting down.

That’s what happens when you don’t show up to the board meetings.

• tommyboy says:

can I get like a proxy vote or sumfin…

I walk with my toes pointed very outwards. I can walk with my feel pointed perfectly sideways if I try. I’m pretty sure my legs just grew like that, and it’s not because I’m fat like ryan. After I had dual knee surgery my physiotherapist once explained to me why my legs were like they were, but I didn’t understand so I didn’t retain it. It has something to do with my hips pointing one direction making my knees point in another direction which directs my feet.. When I stand up and try to put my feet straight ahead my legs look like someone else trying to put their toes together, like I’m trying to hold in a really big shit.

Of course, it could be because I’ve recently become fat, though that doesn’t explain grade 9 when I was 120 pounds or less, and only slightly shorter and I am now.

I always thought that people who walked with their feet straight ahead would have balance issues, since your sideways stability would have that extra few inches of toes not there for sideways stabilization. Straight feet walking unbalanced buffoons, they is.

6. Ryan says:

I’m not fat…I’m just retaining water.

7. Kareem Abdul Armstrong says:

It’s little more stable with your feet outward like that. I’m not fat, but I am rather tall.

8. Maria says:

my feet point outword and my knee point inward they keep on hitibg eachether. i do not have trouble wlaking and i am not fat. my doctor think braces could help. do you think i should tlak to my doctor?

9. babygurl4eva says:

i walk with my feet pointing outwards becuz its very comfortable but try this if u walk with ur feet outwards try walking wit them straight cuz i tried and it wuz uncomfortable and i fell (LOL) but it didnt hurt.o and im NOT fat

• TheJCB says:

It might be more comfortable for you but…. my oh my, it does look so unattractive. Just watch other people and see for yourself how stupid you must look

10. Justinpan105 says:

Personaly i really never had that problem but i have 2 friends thats like that and i really think it looks weird and one is fat though i tried walking like that but it hurts my ankle and fall backswards
    but i think its just a habit for people and other people are just plain fat no offence thought i love fat people (NOT LIKE THAT)bt they lazy and i hate lazy people and i shouldnt have sent that with fat people on this site but no offence really

Remember No Diets
    Just Exrcise And eat heally no more junks food
    i watch Exrcise Tv so i would no and give your lazy butt of the chair or whtaever you sittin on and go run a freakin mile!
    I love being healthy even thought i eat alot of sugar and have diabetes probally

11. babygurl4eva says:

okay im back but wat justinpan105 said was a lil well not even little but kinda big mean but o well umm i do walk with my feet outwards and thats wat is comfortable for me but if u walk wit ur feet outwards and ur knees are straight forwards but wen u walk wit ur feet straight and ur knees are inward dat usually mean somethin is wrong wit ur leg bone and i went to my doc. and they said if i wanted to walk straight it might mean sugery but it was still gona b uncomfortable and i passed but still all u ppl who say were fat lik really (SHUTUP) stop being mean but yea if i was u DO NOT get surgery.
    BBBBBBBBBBBYYYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Where the fuck do these people come from? Some forum must’ve linked to this post.

A bunch of junior high school kids, and illiterate. I’m always tempted to delete comments like this. SWT is no place for children. Mentally stunted adults, yes, but children, no way.

14. James says:

I walk with my feet straight, but I have noticed that my knees point inwards. I do not have any trouble/uncomfort walking straight with slightly inverted knees, but I could see why somebody would point their toes outward for aesthetic reasons if their knees are visible. My legs look so HOT with my toes pointed outwards. But I do not walk like this as it’s not my habit or really comfortable. Plus, whenever I see somebody walking with their toes pointed outsides I get reminded of a fat, waddling duck.
    I’m also very tall and skinny yet have small foot size for a guy of my height, but do not have problems walking straight. Walking straight INCREASES your balancing abilities and you should know that balancing also burns calories.
    Why the fuck would you want to walk like a physically retarded duck and lose the opportunity to burn calories and tone your legs/body doing some balancing?

15. LEEYA says:

i wTED TO KNOW WHAT IS IT CALLED WHEN UR FEET GOES OUTWARDS IN UR LEGS ARE STRAIGHT? CAN U ANSWER MY QUESTION PLEASE,

I believe it’s called outtoeing and was part of the CONTENT OF THE ORIGINAL POST.

17. Kirah says:

Bitch i weigh 115 and i learned how to correctly so your hypothisis is wrong. My feet are like this because of ballet so thankyou very much.

I don’t think I’ve ever been called a bitch before.

19. Jessica says:

I am 120 pounds at 21 years old, i walk with my feet outward, how do you explain that? im not fat at all, i just think you are a rude, closed minded person who needs to grow up and learn how to “play nice” with others. my guess is that you probably are an old bitter woman with nothing else to do with her time then to try to put heavy people down. get over yourself.

Jody is an old bitter woman. It’s not uncommon to see Jody walking around wearing a t-shirt that reads: “I’m an old bitter woman. Deal with it!”

21. Steve says:

Jody… you bitter old bitch. Stop being so intolerant of others.

I have had fantasies about jody being an old bitter woman…that is wrong….isn’t it?

Is there such a thing as an inside blogging voice…

7 years later and this shit is still hilarious.

24. TheJCB says:

Athletes rarely walk/run with outtoeing problems. Try and run with feet pointed outwards and it is bloody difficult. Models/beautiful girls ALWAYS walk with feet pointed straight ahead. It is the correct way to stand and walk and looks attractive. Thats the reason for it. People taht walk with feet pointing outwards look stupid and unattractive, the more pointing outwards the worse it becomes. Why anyone would think it ok to push their feet sidways down the road is beyond me. My feet are very straight and so are my girlfiends too. She would not be with me if she had duck feet. it looks so awful.

steel white table is alive…its alive….barely…hello…..helllllloooooooo

“She would not be with me if she had duck feet.”

That’s my quote of the day.

27. Sam says:

When I walk each of my feet points very slightly outward (and no, its not ‘My fat thighs’ I come in at 65kg for 6’3″). When standing still however, my feet usually point at around 45° out each.

I often go climbing, and this frequently requires me to have my feet sideways against the wall – maybe this is a cause?

Interesting….

28. Livia says:

I’m very athletic. I’m a cheerleader that takes a gymnastics class once a week, I run track, and I play basket ball. I have very little fat on my body. I am mainly muscle. I walk with my toes pointed outward. I’ve always walked like this. I think it might be a recessive trait. My grandpa walked like this. But my grandmother didn’t. They had three kids, two of them walking normal and one of them walking with outward facing toes. My mother, who walks normaly, had two children, both with outward facing toes. Me and my sister both walk like this. I’ve always thought it could be just a recessive trait. Yes, fat people could walk like this because of their thighs, but anyway I walk, (I’ve expirmented) with outward toes, inward toes, or toes facing straight foward, My thighs never touch. So I don’t think being fat is the only explanation as to why people walk outtoeing.

A lot more replies to this old, silly thread recently, most saying they walk with their feet pointing outwards even when they’re not fat – not that being fat is a primary reason for it.

I love the internet.

30. Maddy says:

Ummm…. I have outpointed feet and I’m not fat. I’m on a level 2 cheerleading team, I’m 13 years old, and I weigh 95 pounds. Your theories are incorrect.

31. jessica says:

im 12 i weight 136 but im strong and people say i look rather skiny and i walk with my feet straight i think people just walk the way they do cause its comferatable to them

shut it down jode …shut it down!

ohhhh I am all a twitter and giddy with anticipation….no really…..really really….

phillip your honey was great…no not your honey…your honey….

I’m fat and my feet point straight, sideways and inwards. It depends on what direction of walking.

35. Lil says:

Is the one who wrote this an idiot? Extensive research my ass, too opinionated. And not everyone who walk with their feet pointing outward is fat, from what I learnt from experience is its just bad habits from when they were young, and can be treated by strengthening certain muscles in the legs

> Is the one who wrote this an idiot?

Probably, as are most of the people who take him seriously.

37. hank says:

this is bullshit!

38. Nicole says:

Hi my crush is skinny and tall and he walks with his feet outward, his right foot a little outward than his left and I think it’s cute

39. pender says:

10 years later this post is still going.

“…those who talk with their feet pointed straight ahead, and those who don’t.”

Those who TALK? Damn, I thought we were making fun of the way people walk all this time.

41. This whole thing is dumb. No, its not because your fat. When I stand with my feet pointed straight, no my thighs don’t touch, but what happens is my knees are pointed too much inward, you can see it and it looks really stupid, and is painful. Ive walked like this since I was little, so this post is just bull