My Old Computer Died

The original hard-drive in my old 500 MHz PC sounds like a record player stuck in a grove, which is probably what has happened – the control arm failed. It was the drive with the operating system (Windows 2000), so I now have a good excuse to try Linux, although it has to be user-friendly since it’s my wife’s computer now.

I’ll post the agony of installing Linux and its associated programs that I’ll need: OpenOffice, FireFox, etc.

For now, though: where do I start? What version of Linux should I get? Anyone have any suggestions while I do some research?

15 thoughts on “My Old Computer Died

1. Jordan

I’ve heard Ubuntnu (or some such spelling variation) is good, as well as Xandros. You could always do a Live CD of a distro as well, most have a version now that can be booted right from the CD Rom. That way you can try a few out before doing a HD install.

Good luck.

2. Will

I’ve setup Ubuntu for my girlfriend on a PII 266 with 256Meg memory and she doesn’t even realize she is run linux. The computer just works for everything she need and is relatively fast and very safe. I’ve been running Ubuntu on my laptop for three years now and have had great success migrating my digital live to linux.

“Jump on in — the water is fine”

3. Phillip

That lyric reminds me of this Tom Waits lyric:

“Come down from the cross — we can use the wood!”

- Come on Up to the House

4. Phillip

I remember now: That’s from the guy in “O Brother, Where Aren’t Thou?” He jumps in the water to get baptised and says to George Clooney: “Jump on in, the water is fine!”

5. Phillip

By the way, Jody, while I’m living in Riverview for the next month, I’ll be hooking up my computer in your basement, connecting to your wirelessly. If you don’t have a wireless box, you can use mine.

6. Jody

I ran Ubuntu on my old computer last night from the Live CD download they provided, which allows you to boot to Ubuntu without installing anything on your computer. It took 10 minutes to book, but it’s user-friendly once it gets going. Firefox and OpenOffice was installed, along with lots of other applications. I’m definately going to install it now; I have to remove the defective hard-drive and make the good, working slave drive the master drive first.

7. Gezzo

If you don’t mind telling, what brand harddrive was it? I just had the same failure and that is the third IBM/Hitachi HDD that failed in my hands in last 4 years. They were all less that 1yr old.
    I’m sure you worked out your Linux question by now, but to leave a mark, I ran Knoppix DVD live distro during the HDD blackout (mainly to please my toddlers appetite for kid’s games) and was happy with it. Now I put Ubuntu on the new HDD and am firmly determined to make everything I need work.

8. Jody

I don’t remember, although it wasn’t IBM/Hitachi. Maxtor sticks in my mind, though I’m not sure. I threw it out. The drive was over 5 years old.