Pound Dog

Jenny and I are getting a dog this weekend. Not our dog, though. A journalist Jenny works with did a story on an animal shelter. When he was there, he couldn’t help but pick out a dog. But he’s also moving into a new house this weekend, so he asked them if they could keep the dog for a few days until the move is complete. They said no; they’re putting the dog to sleep if he doesn’t take it by Saturday. Nice animal shelter. So we’re taking the dog on Saturday or some time tonight, and we’re giving it back to him on Sunday night or Monday morning once he’s done with his move. It’s a 6 year old dog, looks like some kind of hunting dog with friendly but sad eyes; she’s been through a lot. We’re going to take her for walks, play with her, let her run round and crap all over our backyard. The dog’s going to love it.

Jenny’s going to want to get a dog now.

About Phillip

Phillip Cairns is a beekeeper in St. John's, Newfoundland, who writes about beekeeping at MudSongs.org.
This entry was posted in what i did today and tagged .

9 Responses to Pound Dog

Click the image. You’ll see what I’m talking about. Dog’s eyes don’t lie.

It’s a female dog. I had to go back and change all the HEs to SHE. I’ve always had male dogs.

She took a leak on the rug in our living room. Just making herself at home, I guess. And it only took her 10 minutes. She’s not as traumatized as I thought. She’s totally laidback. Nice dog.

And that rug really tied the room together.

The dog slept on our bed last night. It has a little bed of its own, but we couldn’t get it off our bed. Now our top bed sheet is covered with dog hairs. Long white dog hairs. She’s a shedder. Whether she likes it or not, she’ll be sleeping on the floor tonight.

She a very tame dog, playful, not in any way agressive. Hasn’t barked yet. I was playing with her this morning and gave her a pretend growl, and she immediately became submissive and starting licking my face.

The dog was picked up by the SPCA about 10 days ago. Jenny’s friend had to take it home when he did, because they had an overflow of dogs, and too many new dogs coming in. So he had to either take the dog by Friday (“cleaning day” they called it), or well, bye-bye doggy. Anyway, I don’t think it’s a stray dog. It’s too well-behaved and house-trained. I think she just got off her leash and someone brought her to the SPCA.

Got back from walking the dog. Five minutes later she pukes on the rug. I have hardwood floors all over the house. Do dogs deliberately aim for the most expensive rugs?

5. ChrisO says:

i know cats sure do!

Niall, you should stop feeding your cat that “eau de demon”. Most cats aren’t as hellion-like as yours. They start out that way, but usually they simmer down after 4 years of flying pillows at their heads and water squirtings.

7. ChrisO says:

that’s it! city water is mutating them into demon cats!

The first dog I personally got was supposed to be a trial-run; we got him from the SPCA where my wife worked. He was a pup and weren’t sure if we were ready for a dog. So we took him home and kept him for a few days. When it was time to take him back, I couldn’t; I remember crying in the car on the way back to the SPCA with him, as if we were about to put him to sleep. I couldn’t do it, so we kept him. He was a good dog.

The dog is going home tomorrow morning, and I’m glad. Main reason: it’s taken a leak at least once a day somewhere in the house, usually at night when we’re asleep. So the piss has had time to sink in by the time we notice it. I removed all our rugs yesterday, but she still took a wizz on the hardword floor in the hall, a big dried-up stain.

She’s a friendly dog, but I can tell she’s used to eating table scraps, jumping up on the furniture, and she’s probably used to being kept outside all night where she take a leak wherever she likes. I’ve had to clean my living room rug three times and my hallway rug once already, and now I have to go scrub the hallway floor.

Apparently, though, this kind of thing isn’t unsual for a shelter dog that hasn’t had the best life. She’s also in a new environment (our house) and doesn’t know what’s going on it, doesn’t have a routine yet. It often takes a shelter dog a few weeks to get used to a new home.

Nice dog, though.