- Buy a package of Mentos. They’re a mint candy that come in a cylinder wrapper. Get the regular flavor.
- Buy a big bottle of Diet Coke Cola. I haven’t tried other brands because I’ve read that brand works the best, but cheaper brands would probably work, too.
- Place the Coke on the ground away from anything you don’t want splattered. I recommended a radius of 10 feet.
- Take the top off the bottle.
- You want to put as many of the Mentos in the bottle at once as you can. A test-tube works great, else try to hold five or six between your fingers as a cylinder.
- Drop the Mentos in the bottle (the more, the better) and back away from it.
- Watch the fountain-geyser-eruption.
Your kids will have a newfound respect for you after this. They’ll be in awe.
There are a lot of videos available of the Mentos and Coke explosions. The domino one is fun to watch.
I imagine that exploding volcanoes will be a popular school science project this year.