Friggin’ In the Riggin’

sex pistols great rock n roll swindleI wasn’t a fan of The Sex Pistols, but I had friends who listened to punk, so I was exposed to it. I think someone prompted me to buy The Great Rock ‘n’ Roll Swindle and I’m glad I did.

It was a double-album (back in the day of vinyl, before CDs took over), a soundtrack from a movie I haven’t seen. It had a rebellious atmosphere to it, from the raunchy images on the album jacket, to the cover-tunes The Sex Pistols recorded and made their own. Tracks I still remember:

• Friggin’ In the Riggin’: A folk-type tune that will stick in your mind like a nursery rhyme.
  • My Way: A cover of the tune that Frank Sinatra made famous. It starts slow and jazzy, then Johnny Rotten let’s out a drawl to lead into a distorted, faster version of it.
  • Who Killed Bambi?: I only remember the title.
  • Road Runner: Again, Johnny Rotten’s distinctive style makes this memorable.

This is a fun album, although I remember listening to only a few tracks; I think most of it sucks. I haven’t heard it in over 20 years.

(I may make a series of posts titled “Memorable Albums” – not great albums, but memorable ones.)

This entry was posted in appreciations, music & audio, reviews.

9 Responses to Friggin’ In the Riggin’

It sucks. So does the movie.

2. Rebecca says:

Holy crap – all these years, I thought “Friggin’ in the Riggin'” was something I dreamed up :)

jesus flash back to bruce b, next you’ll be putting up songs from skinny puppy…

hey started flopping through the links..have you heard any recent marillion….i have not looked at them since clutching at straws but guess they have been putting out music…….

Jody, you saw the film in Toronto with Scott once. The Sex Pistols were a horrible band. They sold attitude, not music. I thought it was great fun, though, because I didn’t know any better.

My Way video and Friggin’ in the Riggin’ sing-along.

Tom, Skinny Puppy’s Smothered Hope. The 80s were such lovely times. I never listened to Skinny Puppy, but I knew this song.

ahhh phillip….i am ten minutes from going to coucil meeting…the city hall is right behind the market and all i have going through my head is the chourus from friggin in the riggin…..

and concillor how do you vote on the resolution before us….”there is fuck all else to do”

Tom, I wish I had your job. By the way, I didn’t know you had your own website: tommyboy.com

Wasn’t a fan of Sex Pistols. I always thought other bands doing remakes of their songs sounded better. Megadeth did “Anarchy” and “Problems” and they sounded great.

I could never get use to Skinny Puppy. They sounded like real early Ministry which I wasn’t a fan of until they released “The Land of Rape and Honey”. “The Mind is a Terrible Thing to Taste” is also worth listening too. And “Psalm 69″ is one of my favourites!