Running Executables From Firefox 9

OpenDownload dialog exampleFirefox doesn’t support opening Windows executable files (i.e. files with an .exe extension); you have to save it, then manually run it. I missed the ability to execute a program directly from a browser (as Internet Explorer allows).

The OpenDownload add-on fixes that. When you click an executable, the dialog now has a “Run” button, which will cause Firefox to download the program to your system’s TEMP directory, then executes it. Sweet!

9 thoughts on “Running Executables From Firefox

1. Reply Darren Jul 19,2007 2:58 pm

How often is this a requirement?

2. Reply Jody Jul 19,2007 3:03 pm

I wouldn’t call it a “requirement”. It saves me 10 seconds by not having to open up Explorer, going to the folder, running it, then moving or deleting it.

I do this almost daily.

3. Reply Darren Jul 19,2007 3:17 pm

You download EXE files every day? I guess I’ve been in Apple land for too long.

4. Reply Jody Jul 19,2007 3:45 pm

Not EVERY day, but more than the usual person probably, because the geek in me likes to try new programs; and since I’m a programmer, I usually know that I’m doing. I’ve never unintentionally downloaded something with a virus. My virus scanner has never detected one, at least.

5. Reply Guido Jul 19,2007 4:29 pm

Hooray for re-opening security holes :) Since you know what you’re doing, not a problem at all.

I quite like having my .exe files around though, be it for using it later or for knowing what the things I downloaded were. I have this download folder with subfolders too (and noticed with glee that Vista has this as default too, when I installed that on my work computer). So I wouldn’t really need this addon :)

6. Reply Guido Jul 19,2007 4:31 pm

Oh, I do use another addon though (among many others of course):

It displays a neat statusbar at the bottom of the Firefox browser window when and after you’ve downloaded stuff. A right-click allows you then to run the freshly downloaded thingy, and you have all your current downloads in a nice overview too. Clearing and removing the statusbar is just a right-click (or a click on the “downloads” button, that’s new in the current version) away.

7. Reply Jody Jul 20,2007 6:09 am

I download everything to my desktop (which is clutter-free, unlike most people it seems), where I will do something with it right-away – if it’s on my Desktop, it means I have to do something with it.

8. Reply Pender Jul 26,2007 4:10 pm

I hit control+j and double click the file.

I also have what guido has, that download bar. So I double-click the downloaded file from that bar, it cleans it out of the bar automatically and the wonderful viruses happily pour in.

9. Reply Steven Avery Feb 20,2012 6:31 am

And can you expand this to automatically allow a browser page to start executables on your c: ? Standard browser security prevents this, requiring special bypasses, even though it is overkill on something that you initiate (as opposed to an external drop of an executable). If there is a simple way to accomplish this, please let me know.