Tim Hortons’ Cup Lids

tim hortons cup lidMost portable hot drink cups have a pre-made hole in its cover or one you have to make by bending a flap. Tim Hortons‘ lids have the second type, which fail 50% of the time for me.

Two main problems with Tim Hortons’ cup lids:

1. Ripping the perforated plastic to the indicated line results in the rip going crooked or pass the line, making it impossible to fold down correctly.
  2. The cleavage on the ripped portion fails to fit in the receptacle on the main portion of the lid, so it doesn’t fasten down.

In either case you have these options:

1. Rip the whole portion off, else it will remain unfastened and claw at your nose with every sip; however, ripping more off it often results in a drinking hole that ends up too big and slops the beverage over your face.
  2. Manipulate the plastic, trying to make it fit where’s it supposed to go, which can involve using your thumb to force the folded portion into its fastener. This often results in thrusting your finger through the lid into the scolding coffee or spilling it altogether. Option 1 above is often the next step.
  3. Remove the whole cover. This isn’t a practical option while you’re in an automobile or on the move.
  4. Go back to the store and ask for a new lid, so you can try again. I’ve never done this.

What are your experiences with coffee cup lids?

This entry was posted in annoyances and tagged , , .

8 Responses to Tim Hortons’ Cup Lids

1. Steve says:

You said three options, but listed four. Here’s a fifth. Instead of trying to clip the tab back, push it down into the cup. This is not that hard to do, it removes the flap away permanently, and has the added benefit of being a baffle to reduce splash out when you hit bumps in the road.

> but listed four.

Oops. Thanks.

You mean push the torn flap down into the coffee, under the lid? Good idea! I’ll try it.

I rarely have a probably with the flap, but I don’t drink Tim Hortons everyday. Pushing the flap down into the cup sounds like a good idea. Oddly.

4. Rob O. says:

I despise the lids that have the perforated flap thing you have to bend back!

I like the lids on the Dixie Insulair coffee cups with the “leak-resistant, secure-fit dome” that we buy at Target and/or HEB. They’ve similar to the lids used at Starbucks, but of course, we save a bundle by brewing our own java and using these cups.

We’ve been trying to switch over to reusable insulated travel coffee cups, but the lids on those dribble or leak more often than not, so we haven’t found cups that we can live with yet…

Rob reminds me of an alternative: use your own mug. You have to remember to carry it around and clean it, which shouldn’t be hard if you make it a habit.

The push down flap thing that Steve mentions works. I forgot all about it though.

7. Niki says:

We, too, cannot stand the lids on Tim Horton’s coffee. Even once they are opened properly, they still tend to leak all over your chest – whereas the higher lids with the small opening NEVER seem to spill. With all the money they are raking in, why can’t they provide a lid like Starbuck’s?

8. Nicely put. i wish I would of read this prior to my post. In any event, here’s what I had to say about those damn lids.