Answers About Newfoundland Dogs

Wally the newfoundland pup may 2008We’ve had Wally the Newfoundland Dog for a week. Here are some common questions I get about him, including some observations:

• He’s so cute and laid back!
    What puppies aren’t cute? His fur will change as he gets older, although it will still remain soft and long, requiring brushing at least once a week. He’ll probably need a bath every 2-3 weeks, too.
  • His paws are huge! He’s going to be big.
    He’ll probably be at least 150 pounds within two years. Some males exceed 180 pounds. His paws are webbed, too, but not all Newfs like water. We haven’t taken Wally to a beach yet, although he loves the small wadding pool in our backyard.
  • Does he eat a lot?
    He eats 3-4 cups of dry and wet food a day. He’ll be eating about 10 cups of food a day as an adult. We’ll be feeding him a premium dry dog food as long as we can afford it.
  • Does he drool a lot?
    Not yet. His skull and jowls aren’t developed yet. We expect to be washing gobs of drool off the floor and walls within six months. Here’s a video of a Newfoundland dog drooling.
  • He seems too laid back.
    He was well socialized. The breeders we got him from did a wonderful job introducing him to new experiences, being around lots of other dogs and people. Plus, puppies sleep a lot. Wally is active until around 3pm, taking a nap every couple of hours before then. After that, he sleeps more often, although at around 10pm he has another spurt of energy that lasts for about 45 minutes.
  • Is Wally house-trained yet?
    No. It usually takes between 1-3 weeks. He shits and pisses on newspaper during the night, and sometimes he attempts to do his business in the house during the day. You just have to be observant and quick when he starts squatting.

Here’s a more complete and general list of Frequently Asked Questions about Newfoundland Dogs.

He gets attention wherever we take him, although women seem to be drawn to him more than men.

This entry was posted in general and tagged , , .

10 Responses to Answers About Newfoundland Dogs

Wally is awesome!

Take good care of him. I am sure he and the kids will get along great.

just doing some math,…your adult dog will eat in three or four days what our dog eats in a month…I am thinking dog food may be a budget item in your house…

Time to post a video.

I wonder if I’ll get a dog now that I’m going to a big backyard soon. Probably not.

4. jody says:

Sure you will.

We’re thinking about getting a 2nd dog already, although the next will be from the SPCA or rescue center.

How much did you pay for henry? And for that matter, how much for wally?

> although women seem to be drawn to him more than men

can I walk him?

Henry is tommyboy’s son. He can comment on his cost.

I’m not going to specify the exact amount for Wally, but:
    - An Ontario breeder wanted more than twice as much for a pup
    - New Brunswick pups were almost $2000
    - I paid less than $1500, the same price as a Quebec breeder.

Most breeders make no money from it, but it IS price prohibitive for non-rich people like me. I may never get another Newf at the rate their prices are increasing.

henry….1.74 plus tax….however the maintenance costs have been quite prohibative….we should have sold him in the early years to the white slave market, however the psychological costs of removal now will negate the profit margin…I never was good at the stock market either….

hey whats this I will not specify the cost of the dog…did you get some “special” deal….you sold yourself didn’t ya….all for a dog….does your wife know about this….or you told her the dog was a couple of g’s and then you simply went out and shaved down a sasquatch and said hey newfloundland dog….meanwhile you buying gummy bears with all that money…..your sneaky…..

9. Blue says:

One of my colleagues recited this story today, and it seems somehow appropriate for this thread.

I’ve got 2 dogs. I bought a large bag of Meaty Bites at Big W and was standing in line at the check-out.

A woman behind me asked if I had a dog.

On impulse, I told her that no, I was starting The Meaty Bites Diet again, although I probably shouldn’t because I’d ended up in the hospital last time, but that I’d lost 25 kgs before I woke in an intensive care ward with tubes coming out of most of my orifices and IV’s in both arms.
    I told her that it was essentially a perfect diet and that the way that it works is to load your pants pockets with Meaty Bites and simply eat one or two every time you feel hungry & that the food is nutritionally complete so I was going to try it again.

I have to mention here that practically everyone in the line was by now enthralled with my story, particularly a guy who was behind her.

Horrified, she asked if I’d ended up in the hospital in that condition because I had been poisoned by the food. I told her no, it was because I’d been sitting in the middle of the road licking my dick and a car hit me.

I thought one guy was going to have a heart attack he was laughing so hard as he staggered out the door.

thats great…sounds like a rude “wire tap” story