The Price Of Life

My Dad has been getting chemotherapy treatment for his cancer the past 10 years. His white blood cell count has been low recently, resulting in the need for blood transfusions.

Last week his doctor recommended a drug that MAY prevent the need for future blood transfusions, which would be easier on his system, ensuring he’s strong enough to continue chemotherapy.

The drug costs $6,000. For one pill. SIX THOUSAND DOLLARS.

Lord liftin’ jezuz.

This entry was posted in consumer and tagged .

10 Responses to The Price Of Life

What the hell is in those drugs? Diamonds?

What is he opting on doing? Is the hospital or insurance going to cover that?

His insurance covers 80%, but the balance is still too much for them to afford on their retirement-limited budget.

3. Steve says:

Worth every penny.

4. Mean Jean says:

What drug company makes the pill. I have a real serious reason for wanting to know this.

To quote my mom: “the drug is Aranesp darbepoetin alfa, manufactured by AMGEN”.

Jody I am going out tonight with some drunken pharmacists, is that the name of the drug or is that the name of the drug with the accent….I ll ask tonight about it..one of the guys used to do cancer stuff in halifax…

7. jody says:

OK, talked to my dad instead of my mom, which I should’ve done in the first place.

The drug is the one mentioned above: Aranesp darbepoetin alfa

Cost: $1,746 for one needle, one every 3 weeks

Insurance is paying full cost until some threshold is met, and then dad has to pay 20%, but he says the drug company itself and others may kick in some amounts, too.

wow ..I just got off the phone, I called my associate at work, I could not wait until I see him this eveningi and asked him about 6000 dollar pills and he said oh yeah he did three today, and he said basically what you have stated. He has known of cases where these pills are required once a week…I will ask more this evening….

9. Mean Jean says:

We have a friend who was a pusher for GSK. I’ll see if he can shed some light on this situation.

We have a friend who was a pusher for GSK.

So he sold his soul to the devil, ah? Oh well. It’s a living.

Turns out the drug is doing him more harm than good. Jody is closer to the situation than I am (I live in a different province); I’ll let him confirm.