As a companion piece to the controversial 100 “greatest” guitarists of all time, here’s something even more controversial: .
I know I left out plenty of deserving guitar dudes on this list (there’s a lot of hammered shit out there, y’know). I took care to exclude bozos like Yngwie Malmsteen, Steve Vai, and John McLaughlin because, frankly, their styles seem to have less to do with pure rock-n-roll than that of say, Eddie Van Halen. Anyway, it’s a good bet that some of you will consider some or all of these solos the best of all time.
Here’s the(with the worst being number 1):
- “Let It Rain” by Derek and the Dominos; Soloist: Eric Clapton
- “Free Bird” by Lynyrd Skynyrd; Soloist: Gary Rossington, Ed King, Allen Collins
- “Good Morning Little Schoolgirl” by Ten Years After; Soloist: Alvin Lee
- “Demand” by Phish; Soloist: Trey Anastasio
- “Renegade” by Styx; Soloist: Tommy Shaw
- “Fuel to the Fire” by Rory Gallagher; Soloist: Rory Gallagher
- “Hot Blooded” by Foreigner; Soloist: Mick Jones
- “Do You Feel Like We Do” by Peter Frampton; Soloist: Peter Frampton
- “I Like to Rock” by April Wine; Soloist: Brian Greenway
- “Venom Soup” by Ted Nugent; Soloist: Ted Nugent
(via Waxy.org Links)