Actually, I didn’t know it was in my salad until it jumped out of my salad.
It was a light-green frog about the size of my thumb, and it jumped out of the Cajun Chicken Caesar Salad I ordered atlast night. For the record, that’s the Smitty’s restaurant in Mount Pearl, just outside St. John’s, Newfoundland.
I was there with my girlfriend and her mother. The frog jumped out of my salad a few minutes later — after I’d eaten some of the salad. It took me a couple seconds to realize it was indeed a frog, because who the hell expects a frog to jump out of their salad? It’s the kind of thing that doesn’t register immediately — not until the frog makes a beeline for the ketchup bottle.
I calmly said, “Okay, that’s it. A frog just jumped out of my salad. I’m leaving.” We left without paying. I’m just glad I didn’t stab the frog with my fork and put it in my mouth.
I’m writing a letter to the restaurant’s manager and to the provincial health inspector. I’ll report back with any response I get.
Are frogs full of germs? I don’t know. I suppose as long as it’s not a poisonous frog, I’m okay. But still, I ate lettuce a frog was hopping around in, pooping on, peeing on, excreting on, whatever it is frog’s leave behind when they touch stuff. I knew I’d most likely be alright, but the thought that I could have bitten into a live frog, and that I probably did eat some frog-slimed lettuce, made my stomach feel not so great.
When you order something at a restaurant that’s cooked, chances are it’s alright. But with something uncooked like a salad, unless it’s carefully washed and inspected, who knows what you could end up eating? I’ll be eating all my salads at home for now on.
And too bad I’m not in the U.S. I could probably sue Smitty’s for emotional or punitive damages over something like this.
UPDATE (May 11/07): It’s happened again!