Knowing what makes conversation good and bad, we can draw some conclusions about what to do in order to have a good conversation.
The author lists the following points:
- Don’t be selfish.
- Prepare for good conversation. Read widely.
- Be honest and up-front.
- Avoid gossip and complaining.
- Don’t be afraid to differ.
- Know and use your sense of humor in moderation.
A couple things they should’ve included (despite my ineptitude at this):
- The ability to tell anecdotes, which is a skill I respect a lot. I don’t have the memory for it.
- Knowing when to shutup (I AM good at that).