Strip Out The Fans, Add 8 Gallons of Cooking Oil:
Common sense dictates that submerging your high-end PC in cooking oil is not a good idea. But, of course, engineering feats and science breakthroughs were made possible by those who dared to explore the realms of the non-conventional.
They recommend motor oil, although they used vegetable oil. I wonder when you’d have to change the oil?
Firefox has an Extension feature:
Extensions are small add-ons that add new functionality to Firefox. They can add anything from a toolbar button to a completely new feature. They allow the application to be customized to fit the personal needs of each user if they need additional features…
Here are the extensions I use:
- Adblock removes unwanted content (i.e. ads) from pages. I’ve used this for so long I forget most websites have ads now. Filterset.G maintains a comprehensive list of filters you can add to Adblock.
- SpellBound allows you to check spelling in any textbox area on a webpage via the right-click popup menu. Dictionaries are available in lots of languages.
- Tab Mix Plus gives you more control over tabbed behaviour, such as loading popups you want to be loaded as tabs in the background, adding a Close button to each tab, and lots of other useful things.
- Disable Targets For Downloads prevents blank tabs (or windows) from popping up for some types of downloads.
- Restart Firefox. Most extensions don’t work after you install them until you restart Firefox. This allows you to but a “Restart Firefox Now” button on the toolbar. It takes awhile to get use to this feature; I still manually close and start Firefox, forgetting about this one button.
- DownThemAll! enables you to download everything on a webpage, with lots of options.
- Adsense Notifier displays your Google AdSense revenue in the status bar.
Dora the Explorer Journey to the Purple Planet for Playstation2 (PS2)
My 5 year old daughter received this for Christmas, finishing it within two days; it’s a short game, but she enjoyed it and is still playing it. The game has all the elements from the TV series: Boots tags along with Dora, Map provides the directions, Backpack provides the tools you need when the time comes, and all the familiar songs are there. The goal is to help some aliens find their way back home; that is, the Purple Planet. To get there you have to follow set paths on different planets, solving simple puzzles along the way, such as matching shapes or colours.
This was the first Playstation 2 game my four year old daughter has played and the controller was too big for her hands; she placed the controller on her lap, clutching the left joystick from the top, using her right forefinger to press the Action button. She asked for my help once, when a path wasn’t obvious; otherwise, she spent six to eight hours playing it, finishing it in that time.
I was disappointed that the game didn’t take long to complete, but my daughter doesn’t mind and that’s all that matters.
A developer created videos of how to create a text-based game (similar to Adventure) using C++. I didn’t learn anything, but it’s interesting to watch how he creates it. Good for those new to programming and wanting to program games.
How to rip a DVD: A Tutorial, describes how to copy the contents of a commercial DVD video. For backups purposes only, of course.
Phillip: is this how you do it?