I want a Freeware Utility to … 300+ common problems solved is a useful list grouped in categories such as I want to … Anti-Spyware/Anti-Virus/Anti-Rootkit/Security Freeware Utilities and I want to … Audio/Music/MP3/Real/Wav Freeware Utilities.
Looks like they’re all for Windows, though.
TimeSnapper is a cool Windows application. It’s..
…an Automatic Screenshot Journal. It runs in the background of your computer, taking screenshots of your desktop every few seconds all week long… you can play back your week just like a movie. You can play it at any speed you like, and jump in at any time you like.
I used it for a week and it works well, although it can use up a lot of disk space; it will take a screenshot of your desktop at whatever interval you have set. I had mine set at every 2 minutes. Each screenshot is saved as an image (eg. jpg), which can be easily browsed with their intuitive interface.
Don’t use this if you’re not aware of how much time you REALLY spend on the internet.
Someone’s list of Top Ten WordPress Plugins:
- Permalink Redirect. This is a good idea for accurate statistics.
- Time Zone. I haven’t heard of this one. Useful.
- WordPress Database Backup / WP-Cron. I created my own script to do this.
- Popularity Contest. This sounds interesting only to the owner of the blog.
- Gravatars. I don’t know what a gravatar is nor do I care.
- WP-ContactForm. I’ve had trouble implementing WordPress’s mailing function.
- Subscribe to Comments. I’d like to implement this, but I can’t get WordPress to send emails.
- Related Posts. This is a nice idea.
- Ultimate Tag Warrior. I don’t care about tags.
- Akismet. I use this, getting about 50 spam comments a day.
I use these Plugins:
- Akismet: checks your comments against the Akismet web serivce to see if they look like spam or not. I use this because I haven’t bothered to fix AuthImage.
- WP-PageNavi: adds page navigation to the bottom of your pages.
- WP-UserOnline: keeps track of the number of concurrent users online.
- Google Sitemaps: genereates a new version of your site’s Google Sitemap, which helps Google index your site.
Update: WP Tutorial: Your First WP Plugin has an excellent video showing how to create your own plugin.
Firefox has an Extension feature:
Extensions are small add-ons that add new functionality to Firefox. They can add anything from a toolbar button to a completely new feature. They allow the application to be customized to fit the personal needs of each user if they need additional features…
Here are the extensions I use:
- Adblock removes unwanted content (i.e. ads) from pages. I’ve used this for so long I forget most websites have ads now. Filterset.G maintains a comprehensive list of filters you can add to Adblock.
- SpellBound allows you to check spelling in any textbox area on a webpage via the right-click popup menu. Dictionaries are available in lots of languages.
- Tab Mix Plus gives you more control over tabbed behaviour, such as loading popups you want to be loaded as tabs in the background, adding a Close button to each tab, and lots of other useful things.
- Disable Targets For Downloads prevents blank tabs (or windows) from popping up for some types of downloads.
- Restart Firefox. Most extensions don’t work after you install them until you restart Firefox. This allows you to but a “Restart Firefox Now” button on the toolbar. It takes awhile to get use to this feature; I still manually close and start Firefox, forgetting about this one button.
- DownThemAll! enables you to download everything on a webpage, with lots of options.
- Adsense Notifier displays your Google AdSense revenue in the status bar.
Firefox 1.5 was released today. I installed it on my work laptop with no problem. After I installed it at home, Firefox wouldn’t start. I used Process Explorer to see what was going on and I noticed it did start, but it immediately killed itself. I had to uninstall it and revert to the previous version. I’m using Windows XP Pro with SP2.
Anyone else have a similar problem?
Update: I had to uninstall and delete all remnants of the old version, including its Profile settings. It works now.