I attended an orientation session for volunteer firefighters this evening. Here are some interesting facts I learned:
- You’re paid an honorarium of $1500 a year, where $1000 of that is tax free.
- You’re given a pager and all the equipment you need. You’re essentially doing the same job as career fire fighters except you’re not allowed to drive the trucks.
- You’re expected to attend 40% of the 250 or so calls a year.
- You’ll receive almost the same training as career fire fighters except the training is done over a year or more.
- To be accepted you need to pass: a physical agility test; physical fitness test; personality and oral interviews; medical entrance exams; have no criminal record.
- The response time to get to the station if called is 3-4 minutes.
First a motorcycle and now this. I don’t know what’s come over me.